of a threat from Graymoor's original owners to evict the Sisters from the
property, a barn was converted into living quarters for them in 1917 and
called "Bethlehem." The dispute was resolved the next year when
Governor Charles S. Whitman signed a bill that enabled the Sisters to secure
a deed. Since they did not have to move into "Bethlehem," the
building became home to the Tabernacle Guild, which made Gothic vestments,
and the very popular Nativity Play begun by the Sisters.
The present well stocked and attractive gift shop of the Sisters evolved
from the practice of the Sisters on the missions making gifts and sending
them to "Bethlehem" for display on the anniversary of Graymoor's
Foundation Day, December 15.