Paul and Mother Lurana saw the image of Christ in the homeless men who came
to Graymoor. They called them "brothers Christopher," since the
name Christopher means Christ bearer. The first St. Christopher's Inn, made
of logs, started functioning in 1909. Since then the Inn has been rebuilt
four times. The present three-story, red brick structure houses 160 men.
Adjacent to it stands Matt Talbot Hall, a reception center named after a
famous recovering alcoholic whom Pope Paul VI declared venerable in 1973.
It shelters new arrivals and contains a clothing room. Clients at the Inn
represent many different creeds and occupations. Here they receive food,
clothing, medical attention and counseling.
For the privacy of the clients, no visitors are permitted.